The mission of SciWorks is to promote literacy, life-long learning, and an appreciation of science by providing innovative, educational, and recreational experiences for all people through interactive programs and exhibits, collections, and an environmental park.
Quick Historical Facts About SciWorks
- In 1962, the concept of a nature and science facility was introduced to the Winston-Salem Recreation Commission by the Junior League.
- In 1964, The Nature Science Center opened its doors. Originally 4,000 square feet, visitors saw a small area for display of collections, the planetarium, a classroom, live animals, and offices.
- In 1974, relocation to SciWorks’ present site was achieved.
- In 1991, the Board of Directors revised the mission statement of the science center which resulted in the new name SciWorks, The Science Center and Environmental Park of Forsyth County, Inc.
- In 1992, the new building and Environmental Park opened.
For an in-depth history of SciWorks, please click here.